Our third leadership module „Leading Change“ took place in the USA and was again a special event. We were looking forward to meeting our international leader group again because aside our learning insights, we always have a lot of fun. So: what did the leaders implement since our last session?
80% of them implemented a professional feedback structure and created an open feedback culture. The outcome: teams started to be more open minded and discussed their challenges and motives regarding their change process more frequently.
Additionally they started with „Why“. ‚Why‘ is probably the most important message that an organization or individual can communicate as this is what inspires others to action. ‚Why‘ is how you explain the purpose of change and behave as you do. You can find Simon Sineks TED talk regarding that topic here.
One of the main problems of today is the ineffectiveness of managers and that they are not as able as they could be at developing their employees.
- They need time to reflect and to focus on the essential activities and for leading the team to prioritize for change. „The key of your success is not to prioritize the tasks for your time schedule, it is to set a deadline for your PRIORITIES“, says Stephen Covey.
- Furthermore, it is about being a connector to connect the employees with the right people and resources at the right time. To change from a supply driven succession planning to a demand-driven succession planning and to empathize with what employees value.
- Leading change means to communicate in an effective manner. It is little surprise that we come up against an array of misunderstandings primarily within the scope of work, and that the clarification (or other handling) of these takes a great deal of our time. It is preset, that we are all bad listeners! Therefore, leaders must be good and active listeners, asking solution-oriented questions. This is a huge impact for employee performance.
- Time is limited. Whereas ENERGY, with which we perform our tasks, is (almost) unlimited.
Our tips for leading change:
- Understanding is vital!
- Approach emotions with appreciation
- Portray the reality, keep it simple
- Create synergies with your target, mobilize the critical mass
- Learn from mistakes and avoid blame
- Be aware: CHANGE starts with a new PERSPECTIVE for more ENERGY. Reflect yourself: where do I gain energy? How can we gain energy in the team?
I am looking forward to hearing from YOUR experiences as or with a leader!
Hallo, ich bin Katja. Ich bin der festen Überzeugung, dass agiles Arbeiten ein wertvoller und wichtiger Bestandteil in unserem Leben ist und noch mehr wird. Daher begleiten wir Organisationen und MitarbeiterInnen auf Ihrer Reise und in der (digitalen) Transformation ihrer Unternehmnskultur.
Wir stärken unsere Kunden und lernen jeden Tag Neues dazu. Unser Ziel ist: Focusing on getting better!